Monday, December 5, 2011

The difficulties of translation..

It's the end of the semester and I have officially run out of steam, ideas, and inspirations. I suppose I always go back to my original sources, and hope to find new ones as time goes. As a reminder, my go to's are always more on the traditional/impressionist/classical/some surrealist side of art. Monet is what caused me to change my major from general studies to art. Kathe Kollwitz is what made me want to understand perspective and be able to communicate my thoughts from an emotional level that's accessible to viewers. Anders Zorn helped me to approach etching with a strong sense of value and line. Dali taught me how to expand two dimensional space. And in terms of contemporary art, well.. I tend to rely on Juxtapoz Magazine, friends, old instructors, good design work, and what's happening around me.

As I've stated in the past, I tend to view art as another form of language. Whether people like it or not, it's a form of communication. One of my instructors told me, "Design and composition are the poetry of visual language-something is focused upon and emphasized by the artist using the design elements (the language). It's the same thing that separates verbal poetry from prose, some things are emphasized, certain things are left out." (Thanks Pat). I've signed on to this understanding of art for some time. As I learn who I am, and what I want to make, I will use this language to try to translate what I want to say. So if my work seems oversimplified (i.e., not abstract enough/too "direct"), or too accessible, it's because I want it to be.

The difficulties of translation come in the form of experience. It is really hard for me to sit down and read the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and understand without first understanding Hebrew culture and their experiences within that culture. It is difficult for someone to understand what I want to say without first understanding my experience. I suppose it all falls apart at that point of reasoning. Why do I make work? I'm not sure, but I think I'm attempting to bridge the gap between my life experience and the viewer's interpretation of what they see.

How about that art show? I was really excited about the turnout, and excited to see so much work. Thanks Martyna for giving us the opportunity to have a show. I love putting together/participating in shows because of the excitement and end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment