Thursday, December 8, 2011

why i make art.

The end of the semester always brings confusion for me. I like to try lots of different things in my art, so naturally I set myself up for some struggles. My hope, though, is that those struggles end up helping me in the long run. They have so far!

So when I get confused I try to "simplify simplify." (Thank you, Mr. Thoreau) Why is it that I make art in the first place? I realized that they also serve as inspirations in a way. These points are like close friends that you can always go back to when the going gets tough:

1. Art is a verb.

I believe that art is an action, not a thing. I don't mean process art, but rather that they way we see things, experience the everyday, be in the moment as they occur naturally in life etc.. They are all art in its purest form. As an artist, I recognize that I will never be able to replicate that art, and that's okay. I believe it is my job to help others to see life in this way through my work. Art isn't based in skills, it's a way of being.

2. Connect with others

Art does not have to be esoteric to be successful. Maybe that distance that people feel towards contemporary art is something that we have perpetuated over the years. Maybe the best way to make art is in a way that people don't realize it's art. Then, it may have potential for broad impact.

3. Everything is temporary

Make the most of every moment. Cliche, but true. I try to do this through my work, and I hope that it also facilitates viewers to do the same.

Nice and simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment