Monday, November 14, 2011

Break, anyone?

Anyone else ready for Thanksgiving Break?! I am! Inspiration, hm? Honestly, my inspiration (and motivation) for working even more non-stop than usual has been the upcoming holiday. As part of Parking Day, a national collaborative art project, my Sculpture group created Thanksgiving in September.... in a parking spot. It was awesome, but I can't wait for the real Turkey Day too.

When I have breaks, I really enjoy spending time with my family. I may have mentioned this before, but having a close-knit family makes me want to continue making work that connects in some way to what I've felt/learned through being close to my dad, sister and brother. Lots of my work has an autobiographical back story, whether or not it it noticeable to the viewer. Frida Kahlo said that she painted herself because she knew that subject best, and I believe that's always a sure way to make work.

Finally, in keeping with the Thanksgiving theme, I plan to do lots of reading on the break. I feel like a bit of time away from physically making work gives my brain time to shift gears.
(I do tend to over-think things... )I'm currently reading Art as Experience by John Dewey. It's pretty dry, and you have to be in the right mood for it, but if you are, it's very interesting (right, Clara?)

SIDE NOTE---- I have to shout out to the Gaden Shartse monks who visited Washington & Jefferson College this past week. Learned about Tibetan Buddhism and had a great visit. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment