Sunday, November 6, 2011

Theory, because it's Theory.

1. I just discovered a Doctor of language's blog that has all these great incites into advertising language. Dr. Julie Sedivy talks a lot about the effects of subliminal messaging in advertising lingo. Why do we name our products objects that are positive and associate their brand with a certain image. Like the car dealership Jaguar. She explains that we subliminally associate the brand with the image of a lean, powerful, beautiful cat. Wither we immediately think of it or not at all, our brain registers it and it can have an influence on our buying choices. Then it got me thinking, what about Burger King. They associate their restaurant with the image of the highest of social statuses. They didn't name it Burger Peasant for a reason. Our brain will subconsiously register the idea of kings in our brain. Interesting, how can I use this in art?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sold-language

2. Media Theory Text Books!
-The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility, and Other Writings on Media
Walter Benjamin, et al

-The Age of Persuasion: How Marketing Ate Our Culture
Terry O'Reilly

-Visual Culture
Richard Howells

I just ordered these books. I can't wait to read them and apply their theories to my work. I love to use art as a way to inform. I think it's important.

3. Detail. It's all in the little details my friend. The more detailed I am, the more realistic my drawings/paintings will be. I'm crazy for detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment