Monday, November 7, 2011

The joys of Photoshop

This is for those of you that want to learn Photoshop. I've used it very little in the past, but since purchasing a new computer, I decided to get it along with a tablet (basically a pen) to use. Since I know little to nothing, I've been teaching myself.. along with a few instructional tips from my boyfriend. It's fairly easy to get the hang of, but complex at the same time. It may be complex to me because I have a general discomfort towards all things technological, but I've found that it's just a tool. A very useful tool, at that.

Here are some links. Russel Brown does tutorials on different elements of Photoshop, from photo-manipulation to graphic design. They are super cheesy, but his instructions are straightforward and easy to follow. They will teach you how to use all of the tools, how to layer, along with many other things. The only downside is that he assumes that you know how to get to the starting point he teaches from. Sometimes, it's easy. Sometimes, it's impossible to figure out (at least for me).

This is a website where you can download different fonts for typography. I know we "fine artists" in school cringe at the aspect of adding "text" to our work.. but in printmaking, it can be essential. Learning how to look at letters from a design standpoint never hurts. Why fear it, when you can own it?

No comments:

Post a Comment