Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sculpt me an Aura.

1. One of the books I bought came in the mail. "The Work of Art In the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility and Other Writings on Media" by Walter Benjamin. The text was pretty advanced but I enjoyed his thoughts on what gives a piece of art an 'arua'. When I thought of aura I think of some sort of psychic woman telling me the aura color around me is purple or orange or something like that. But Benjamin explains that certain art can attain a different kind of aura.
'A work of art may be said to have an aura if it claims a unique status based less on quality, use value, or worth per se than on its figurative distance from the beholder. Figurative, since, as the definition intimates, this distance is not primarily a space between painting and spectator of between text and reader but the creation of a psychological inapproachability-an authority-claimed for the work on the basis of its position within a tradition' (Benjamin 14).

I appreciate his ideas about how even craft art can achieve this aura. The aura unifies craft art and fine art. A subject that has created quite a fuss with the grad students.

2. Sculpture. I find my ideas working more successfully when I make them sculptures. I am now thinking about different materials and how I can use them to degrade fast food objects.
a. use the wrappers themselves to make sculptures
b. use materials more solid (clay) to create objects that look like the fast food objects but
cannot function properly.
Just something I'm thinking about.

3. Reading. Still reading. Trying to find awesome media theories that I can be passionate about to influence me to make art.

No comments:

Post a Comment