Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shadows, Lines and Dave Devries

1. Shadows. I was laying in bed the other night and watching the shadows in my room. There are many. There are some where my computer sits and the red light hits the wires plugged into the wall creating these beautiful line shadows. Also, I have this beautiful philodendron and it's growing up my window. The street light outside shines through my window and all you see is the beautiful silhouette of the plant.

2. Lines. Lines have always been a huge inspiration to me. Thick, thin, long, short, pen, pencil, Sumi ink, oil, acrylic, brush, water, shadows, string, hair, man made, robotic, loosey goosey, rightey tightey. Every line has its own personality and its own beauty. When I am creating, each line becomes and adds something new to the piece. Sometimes it will just happen, that is the best, when it just comes out of me. Other times it will be a very thoughtful and intentional line.

3. Dave Devries, creator of THE MONSTER ENGINE, is my artist of this week. This guy is awesome! He was inspired by his niece's drawings to apply all he knew about color, action and detail and apply it to recreating children's drawings. Very cool! I am inspired by his ability to find inspiration in something/someone you wouldn't have expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment