Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1. Kazan. One of my favorite bands. Put simply this band is brutal. Me and my roommate like to talk about how "desperate" they sound. That's really a pretty good descriptor. Like most of the other bands I like/posted, lots of emotion. Mostly angry ones. You get the idea.

2. Ashley Wood. This guy is most definitely my current artistic inspiration. His brushwork is beautiful and i love his muted color palettes. He also just goes at his pieces without real planning. Thats way crazy for me. Im trying to loosen up a bit more like that. I'm getting a little better. But also he creates things that appeal to me as far as content as well. I love the characters and world that he's created. More than that, though, i love the way he bridges the gap between illustration and fine art. He identifies himself as an illustrator because he has created this whole story and world and characters in it. That's cool. But his work is indisputably fine art. Love it.

3. Takato Yamamoto. I just recently discovered this guy. He has some really interesting and super bizarre work. You can see the obvious inspiration pulled from ukiyo-e of the edo period. But what really gets me besides his crazy subject matter, is his ridiculour detail. Look closely at any one of those pictures and there is just so much going on. I love his very japanese approach to the figure and face as well. It's a style that i can relate too.

1 comment: