Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cecily Brown - Cecily makes large, messy, painterly paintings. They have so much paint on them, and thats what draws me to them. The figures in her works are partially obscured by paint oozing, dripping.... its thick, and smeared like icing, and then scraped away. It makes me want to use really thick paint, too.

Every summer when I was an undergrad, I'd look forward to hearing the radio commercials for Bud Light, from that series about the Real Men of Genius. "Today we salute you, Mr. (Next Day Carpet Installer) / (Parade Float Driver) / (Dishonest Cable TV Hooker Upper) / (Giant Pink Inflatable Gorilla Maker). My personal favorites were the ones about Mr. 80 SPF Sunblock Wearer and Mr. Pontoon Boat Maker. If you google it, you can read the lyrics to all the commercials, and they still make me laugh to listen to them.

so...

yep.

um...

I dont know what else to write about. I've been stuck since last crit and haven't had the confidence to be excited about anything I've been working on? Have I already talked about how Rosson Crow and William Eggleston are awesome yet this semester?

No comments:

Post a Comment