Sunday, October 2, 2011

First week of Oct.

1. The Dalai Lama's The Art Of Happiness

My favorite book at the moment. I think we all do art because it makes us happy on some level, but I think in making work about facilitating awareness, it plays into my work a lot. It's clearly written and falls into other areas of my life other than just art.

2. Traffic cones

Stay tuned. They've been coming into my sculpture work, so I wouldn't be surprised if they creep into print too. I'm interested in them because they are meant to grab our attention yet they are very banal and overlooked as well. An awareness conundrum.

3. Helping Bonnie Collura in the gallery

This weekend, a bunch of us got to help visiting artist Bonnie Collura set up her work in Kipp Gallery. (If you've never had a chance to do this, make a point to do it next time it comes up. Great experience.) Not only did remind me of helping artists in the gallery at my undergrad, but it also just lit a fire under me to go and make my own work. IUP students should definitely go and see it, regardless of their medium because she manages to mesh the 2D with the 3D in interesting ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment