Thursday, October 13, 2011

Inward- to be inspired by yourself.

As far as influences and inspirations go, I haven't thought a whole lot about them this week- with critiques coming up, I've been thinking more about getting things done on time, and efficiently. My work is starting to develop in different ways (for example, I'm figuring out methods to create realism in my paintings, which is very exciting, and new ways to create mixed media works that are both successful and purposeful), and that alone is an inspiration. I suppose it's probably pompous to say that I'm influenced by myself, but I am. I'm not sorry if that makes me sound like an asshole- I'm confident in my abilities now, which is something I never experience before. Scary and wonderful, all at once! I'm also driven by the work around me- I see a lot of great things happening in the work my peers are making, and I also see a lot of work that isn't so great. There's a lot of work I simply don't like, but whether or not my aesthetic tastes prefer that spice is irrelevant- it keeps me going. Don't like what I see around me? Create something I do like.

I'm also very excited about a lot of things going on in my life- I'm currently working with a woman in Smicksburg to create a gallery/studio space for myself- she and her husband are renovating an older home, so that the downstairs is a gallery/coffee bar, and the upstairs is a shared studio space- they want me to be their painter, meaning a constant rotation of work!! How much does this cost me? Absolutely nothing. I can also continue this artistic relationship while I'm in graduate school, and even after, which is a wonderful feeling. It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere in the vast sea of the Art World- galleriiieeees.

A conversation I had with Liz today also influenced me- we were talking about critiques, and how saying things that are relevant to the work (and not hiding your true thoughts) are beneficial to the person hearing them- also, defending your work is important. She put it like this, "those (her art) are my babies." While I agree with this statement, I also would like to build on it- no only do we spend time loving and caring for the work we're making, we're also making it with intent to impress. I feel that that comes in two different forms- I can be impressed positively AND negatively. I once read a quote that said something about how in order for someone to love your work, someone has to hate it. If someone hates what I've created and wants to rip it to pieces, I know I've done something to evoke emotion. That's what I want. You're pissed? Thank you, I've done my job as an artist. Unfortunately, some art is just plain bad. I make bad art sometimes, we all do it. Ryan Roth told our class over the summer that you can paint ten paintings, and maybe only one of them will actually be good, or great. Maybe they'll all suck.

I think a lot of students get so wrapped up in what they're creating that they lose sight of the main goal- to create good work. The work, in time, can just... become bad.

The moral of this story? Critique well and with good intentions; but never hold back when you feel something must be said. Defend your work- you worked hard to get it where it is, and those are your babies! Always find good opportunities, like galleries. Even if you don't get in, it's always 100% worth it to get your name out there. Someone may remember you later.

Make art! We're all here because we share a common love for making beautiful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment