Sunday, October 16, 2011

You Can't Stop This Motion

I thought I would talk a little bit about the influences for my stop motion animation movie the 6 credit students had to make.

1. I have always loved this company in Japan called Muji. The word in Japanese means "without a name". And that is exactly what their products inspire. Most of their products are to help organize home and work spaces in the most simple and functional way possible, without all the bells and whistles. Their products are mostly white, void of color or writing. They focus completely on pure function without putting a brand logo on the objects. To me, this company is very innovative because they keep their products pure. It's refreshing. Therefore, in my video I have a McDonalds cup melt down into a ball of clay and then it builds it's self up into a label-less drink cut. After all, that's it's original functional purpose, not to be an advertisement for the restaurant chains.

http://www.muji.us/

2. ummm...my freshman sculpture class? It influences me in a more indirect way I guess. It convinced me to go the extra mile and sculpt something recognizable, than just having a ball of clay roll around on a table. And while I did not have any sculpting tools, I did my best with what I could find.

3. My internship at Philips Respironics as a Marketing/Communication intern. I was part of the entire re-branding of the company. We had to remake all of the brochures for the respiratory products to replace the look of the old brochures. The company taught me about all the minuscule details they put into everything to make their brand uniform to the last detail. A Brand becomes an identity. So, by taking away their identity from an object such as the cup, it reveals it's original purpose.

1 comment:

  1. thanks! now I understand why did you ask me about sculpting tool the other day.
    can't wait to see the animation.

    ReplyDelete