Sunday, October 2, 2011

So I went to Pittsburgh on Friday and had a lot of fun. LOTS OF INSPIRATION!

1. We ended up at the gallery crawl downtown. I have been to gallery crawls downtown many times before but for some reason this one really caught my attention! We went into the Space gallery and found that all of the work was interactive!
http://www.spacepittsburgh.org/flash.html
I LOVE THIS! So, my first inspiration is interactive work, which is strange because none of the work I make is ever interactive. I think this would be very difficult for me to do though, because I don't let anyone (except for a very few) touch my work. (But I do sell it, so that doesn't make a lot of sense.) I am totally intrigued, though, by the thought and sight of something being destroyed or altered by someone other then myself. I think documenting this would make it even better!

2. We also went out to an amazing restaurant called  "Point Brugge".
http://pointbrugge.com/
If you have never gone to this restaurant... GO! So my second inspiration is a a beautiful plate of food created by a talented chef. This might sound weird but it is true. The colors, textures, tastes and feelings that accompany a well thought out plate can truly be an inspiration. Also an environment of well dressed people with the right lighting can also inspire me! Colors have really been catching my eyes lately and I have been trying to find the perfect matches to connect with each other in my paintings. Any type of environment can plant a tiny seed of inspiration, it is about capturing and recording those moments that I need to remember.

3. The artists I have chosen are Laurent Mignonneau and Christa Sommerer because of the piece I saw of theirs at the Wood Street Gallery.
http://www.woodstreetgalleries.org/home.html
The piece is called "Life Writer" and it combines a computer program where you type onto a type writer. Every letter that you type is programed to create a different type of bug. There is a projector that is above the  type writer projecting down into the paper that is coming out of the type writer. So every letter or word that you type then is created and moves onto the paper and is contained on the surface of the paper. It is difficult to explain, I hope the photos help to explain it. But I was sooooo excited to stumble across this amazing work of art!! These bugs are being created and everyone is different, some fly some crawl and it goes on. This really triggered me to want to go create some more awesome bug stuff! EXCITING!

2 comments:

  1. i went to the gallery crawl too! i thought it was pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to meet the curator of the SPACE exhibition today... Pretty excited!

    "Point Brugge", is very close where I live! You inspired me to check it out... website looks delicious.

    And all the bugs... how strange!? nice!

    Thank you Beth

    ReplyDelete