Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meh.

Today is pretty nice- it's super warm outside, I'm going to my grandma's house to celebrate her birthday (yayyyy cake!), and I'm painting. Self portrait. I'm cheating on mixed media.

ANYWAY... inspirations. These are more happenings that I encountered over the weekend, but they all made me think.

1) While at work this weekend, I discovered a tube of oil paint had a hole in it, and ultramarine blue was going EVERYWHERE, because people wouldn't stop touching the bottle. I took the poor little baby up to the counter to write down that he was damaged, and then... had to throw him away. I wasn't allowed to keep him, and save him from sudden death. This made me start to think about how every Michaels store in the country probably throws away truckloads of stuff in a year, simply for a hole. All that waste, and for what? I could have used that paint, but they'd rather throw it away than allow an employee to take it home and use it. I even asked, and the manager said, "No, we'd much rather you throw it away." Sick. Disgusting. Tape would have cured that tube of paint.

2) Also while I was working (last night, to be exact), a customer pointed out to me that I was bleeding- I looked down, and sure enough, my wrist was pretty nasty. Blood everywhere. I have no idea where the cut even came from- but I was fascinated by how the blood had started to dry, and the range of colors had begun- reminded me of Jared's works from last year, and how the blood started to turn brown as the oxygen hit it- it's really a beautiful process. Really.

3) This last bit of information is really just me complaining. I made a pie last week. It was a good pie- pumpkin. I made it, let it cool, ate some, put the rest in the fridge- covered. Safe, right? Apparently not. Two days later, it's fuzzy. Someone please explain this to me, as I made all the necessary arrangements for preservation. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. oh Claira.....

    there is not cheating? what do you mean you are cheating:) You just have to MAKE :)

    I thnik you are very tired, yet quite funny...just don't use blood in my class.. please? pretty please? you can totally experiment with inks and mediums.

    Don't get frustrated... :) it is just a pie, but to throw away perfectly good paint! wow! I would get upset too.

    See you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Claira.....

    there is not cheating? what do you mean you are cheating:) You just have to MAKE :)

    I thnik you are very tired, yet quite funny...just don't use blood in my class.. please? pretty please? you can totally experiment with inks and mediums.

    Don't get frustrated... :) it is just a pie, but to throw away perfectly good paint! wow! I would get upset too.

    See you Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete