Thursday, October 6, 2011

the penance post

I've been really bad about listing 3 things, every week by Monday at 11, so here's the list of things I've been meaning to add.

Right after our crit, I was looking through the magazines that are in the 6 credit print room, and found these super intricate drawings by Daniel Zeller. He says he uses slides of cells and topographical maps as inspiration and talks about "translating a 3 dimensional reality into a 2 dimensional format" which is exactly what I'm thinking about in my ptgs. (Can I abbreviate paintings into ptgs? Does that make sense to you guys?) So, I started making my own super intricate sharpie drawings and its addicting. Its all I ever want to do, and I'm so excited about them.

Ivan gave a talk on Monday about his paintings and talked about a technique he uses sometimes. Apparently, if you spray enamel over wet oil paint and light it on fire, it cooks the oil paint and you can scrape away to the layers underneath? I cannot wait to try it.

So, my favorite group since the 7th grade has been Third Eye Blind. Sometimes I get on a kick where I listen to a specific album and fall in love with it all over again, and I really got into their first album again recently. Sometimes when I'm worried that I'm not going to accomplish anything in life, and that I'm wasting my time away, I'll remember that this is where I am supposed to be, and I think about Stephen Jenkins, their lead singer/songwriter. He graduated valedictorian of his class at UC Berkeley with a degree in English, even though he has dyslexia and was held back in elementary school because he couldn't read. And then - I can't find an article to confirm this, so its a paraphrase - he lived in a friends attic for years, stole change to buy groceries and refused to do adult-y things so he could spend all his energy making music. I don't know that I'll ever have the balls to live that bare minimum, and to not worry that people thought I was being stupid.

Also on my mental list of people who "have made it" (whatever THAT means) is Johnny Depp as Cap't Jack Sparrow. I think its a shame that the franchaise still isnt dead, but I believed in the character and was able to forget I was watching Johnny Depp. Also, they made Pirates cereal for awhile, and I can't help but think that you have to be respected in your profession if they make a box of cereal with your face on it.

Here's a thought. Copper plates. Pennies are made out of copper. Could I ink a bunch of change and run it through the press? (I DON'T WANT TO GET BLAMED FOR SOMEONE DOING THIS. Martyna would kill us if we hurt the press, and I was warned against adding buttons to collographs at my undergrad. So this is a theorethical thought, not a suggestion). Maybe I add wax to a plate and press the pennies into it and leave the imprint?

Lastly, I've had the oppurtunity to be involved in art programs at several schools. This is the third college I've been affiliated with for me, and I modeled at half a dozen other schools back home. This is the first school I've been to where I'm excited to see people because I really want to know what they are up to, and I want to show them, too. And I see this happening with other people, too. This is something special.

Btw, I totally would have driven with you guys to see Ben Oddi's show. I'm so jealous.

1 comment:

  1. Youll have to ask someone else but i do think you can put pennies through the machine without ruining anything, to me it seems it would be no different than other relief prints.but i dont know. you could probably also hardground your plate,and before it dries press the pennies on it,and then etch that,youll still have your pennies but they wont be so uniform it might be a better look.

    ReplyDelete