Monday, October 10, 2011

Masquerade

This weekend, I was socially obligated to attend a pre-wedding shower. These events have always struck me as an odd type of ritual steeped in awkward and served with light fare (cold chicken salad). Fortunately, no one at this shower had heard of the tradition of gathering bows shed from the gift packaging and tying them into a bouquet for the bride to hold at the rehearsal dinner. Ergo: salvation from “Bridal Bingo” and a craft project to stick my head into.

I forgot that crafting is fun.

Upon this revelation, I began a search for an old...

1) Mask from Steve’s class. During freshman year, I was apparently still having fun in art. In an attempt to rekindle my love for creativity, I brought the mask out of my closet and was a little surprised to see how well-made and DISTINCTLY CHICKEN-LIKE the head was. I immediately donned the mask and went outside to greet my neighbors. Because my neighbors are chickens, they were nonplussed. My mom, however, was pretty surprised when I jumped out of her closet wearing only the mask and the grass skirt from my years as a hula student. Success.

Honestly, the whole ordeal reminded me a lot of the…

2) African Masks that we are learning about in Dr. Mambo’s art history class this semester. The amazing amount of spiritual energy and religious significance that can be contained within these abstract masks is truly different from any other art form. The way that some African tribes use their bodies as spiritual channels and performance art is truly awesome. And terrifying. The Bwa, for example, use highly-abstracted flat masks called nwantantay that are danced at certain festivals. The power of the masks must be controlled, even when they are being worn, so dancers must cover their bodies with cam wood, clothing, or raffia skirts to prevent evil possession.

3) Pinky Loo is a Malaysian artist who performs incredible art pieces in the traditional Bai Lian (hundred faces) illusionary performance. This technique is meant for performance during a traditional opera, and can be very similar to pieces performed hundreds of years ago in China. Loo, however, has developed a new technique that uses the carefully guarded secrets of her trade to play off of more modern tastes. For example, UV light is used to create an eerie glow in one of her performances. The masks themselves are beautiful works of art, but her dancing gives them a unique sense of life and beauty. And terror.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment