Sunday, October 23, 2011

Where's the Beef?.....and Advertisements?

1. A recent interest in my paintings, or at least, what seems to be developing in my paintings is a classic still life look. I have heard recently that it is rare to see traditional still life paintings. I plan to create a still life in my next painting that idealizes the typical fast food meal but void of all advertisements on the paper product packaging. Every fast food joint uses their packaging as free advertising, and it would be very unusual to see this in a very usual, traditional type of painting. I like the irony. I would enjoy placing other objects in the painting that would have symbolism, much like traditional still life's.

2. I am interested in degrading the ideas of advertising on packaging products. I am currently working on a collage of paper packaging products from many fast food chains to make a layout for screen printing. I would like to print over them, which would belittle them, but I would like to print something on them that would bring them back to the status of paper. Possibly screen printing a large paper bag over top of the collage. Or a tree....or even the roots of a tree. For the root of all these paper products are trees. So, there is a play off the origin of paper in general.

3. Toilet paper! (again) (note the coloring of the words "toilet paper")I plan to make a full roll of toilet paper out of a collage of fast food packaging. What better way to degrade the ridiculousness of advertising over kill, but to wipe my ass with it. I guess Duchamp could also be an influence for this project, but I think the majority of art today can be rooted back to Duchamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment