Sunday, October 9, 2011

stuffs

Band first. Pianos Become the Teeth is absolutely one of my favorite bands. There is not a time when i go through their albums and feel like that was enough i can move on to other bands now. They are full of raw emotion and have such interesting additions to there songs. One song just has this sort of strange dialogue that comes in and out a couple times and the song plays in between. I really consider them artists in their endeavors. The song in the link is long, listen to the beginning and skip around if you don't wanna hear it all. I understand.

Now artist. Yoshitaka Amano has been a favorite and inspirational artist since i was pretty young. I feel it's pretty obvious when you see his work. He does the nice promotional artwork for the final fantasy games and some other stuff. Not all of it's gold but he has like a bajillion pieces and works in drawing and print. His site is real bad there also and for whatever reason it doesn't have really any of his truly awesome work, his book has the good stuff. I really love his work feels a little oldschool japanese print style and theres also some zen art in there as well. But i relate to his style in a lot of ways in that his is very illustrative. I like to think mine is far less illustrative but i keep getting told otherwise.

Finally on a related note and inspiring in it's own way, i don't like being told my work is very illustrative. Illustration comes off with this connotation of inferiority that really pisses me. I know it's not really an insult when someone says that to me but i've just heard it so much lately that i feel when somebody wants to point it out to me it's like a special reason or something. i dont know that's mostly an angry rant. Really i suppose what i'm trying to say is i want to be viewed as an artist for real, regardless of whether it's illustrative or not. I just dont always feel that way right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment