Sunday, October 9, 2011

Research!!!!

My three influences this week are all from researching!!

My first inspiration is a fantastic little sight that gives all these facts about toilet paper and some statistics on it's consumption. And because I am very interested in consumer culture, and lately I have been stamping facts onto toilet paper/paper towels in the buildings public bathrooms, it is imperative that I find interesting and alarming facts about the amount of paper products we use. And I find it appropriate because we all use A LOT of paper in this class. I have been interested in public art for a long time. Mostly art that informs and sometimes shocks random viewers. I have been taking pictures of the stamped toilet paper and paper towels to document my work. So far it has been a lot of fun and interesting to see the reactions! Here is the t.p. facts website :

http://encyclopedia.toiletpaperworld.com/surveys-stories/toilet-paper-statistics



My second and third inspirations from research are:
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_100/145_eating_well.html
and
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352041/The-gay-chicken-row-Chick-Fil-As-anti-gay-stance-sparks-protest-loyal-customers-turn-chain.html

The first link has some shocking studies about fast food chains. One study showed that many children recognized the McDonalds arches before they recognized their own name! That's insane! I took some of these facts and stamped them onto the fast food bags I am creating in the class. And other facts on the sight were useful too.

The second link has disturbing information about the Chick-fil-a corporation that I wasn't aware of (case in point...RESEARCH IS IMPORTANT!!!). I was not aware that Chick-fil-a was a very christian corporation. They were protested because of their choice to back organizations who protest gay marriage. Not only that, but they have been sued many times because of employment discrimination. In fact, an employee who was Muslim was fired because he would not pray to Jesus at a training meeting. I'm pretty disgusted. Therefore, I am going to make sure to use these facts when I recreate Chick-fil-a "to go" bags. There is so much corruption within the fast food industry.

1 comment: