Sunday, October 23, 2011

Grab Bag

This week is random. I’ll just start with a shout-out to Madame Katie Ott, who deserves credit for turning me on to the “tit-prints” of…

1) Brigid Berlin. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, Google it. That’s all. On a totally different note…

2) Kente cloth (nwentoma) is a brightly-colored, geometric strip-cloth that is hand-woven by the Akan and Ewe people of Ghana. It is created with natural fibers by master weavers who use geometric designs, abstract symbols, and bright colors. I am particularly inspired by the idea of weaving words into the cloth, since many of the weavers themselves are illiterate. The irony of using these particular abstract symbols – the same symbols that we often overlook as simply a means to information – is an interesting concept. Speaking of abstractish things…

3) Piet Mondrain was a 20thc Dutch painter who developed a non-representational painting style he called “Neo-Plasticism.” The paintings that he is most well-known for consist of a white ground upon which a black grid and blocks of primary colors were added. Mondrain was interested in pursuing the spiritual aspect of painting:

I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things… I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true.”

Neat.

2 comments: