Sunday, September 25, 2011

1950's Vintage Advertisements





Lately, I find myself more and more interested in 1950's advertising. Some ways that the ad-men tried to send messages to housewives and business men were shocking. This advertisement, not only promotes smoking, but it also openly talks about mothers scolding their children. I believe there is a reason these ads are no longer acceptable. And so I find these old ads amusing. I would like to take these present day, socially unacceptable ads and spin them toward modern products. How would viewers today feel about the messages that were in past ads? This question is something I want to investigate.















Another influence would be the painting styles of these older advertisements. The way they are painted seems to leave an obvious impression of the 1950's. I find this interesting. It's almost like a branding style. It kind of works perfectly for me because I am a painting grad student. Therefore, I am able to mimic that style and the layout of old ads to make the viewers have to look a little close to see what the message is within the images and text.






The corruption of big businesses also is an influence on my art. Mostly, to expose an unacceptable corrupt nature used to gain profit. Walmart has always be questioned about how they send much of their manufacturing to china to allow for low cost of production, and therefore low prices in stores. This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but there has been so much controversy lately about keeping jobs in America. I plan to look at how other companies use corrupt advertising techniques and just corrupt practices in general.

1 comment:

  1. these are cool! before she passed away, my mom was going through my pap pap's old reader's digests and other magazines from the 60's and framing some of the ads for decoration in our house. i was actually just looking at them and thinking i should start up the project again :)

    ReplyDelete