Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gregory Crewdson, Jealousy and my Dad.

1. Gregory Crewdson is a photographer that stages bizarre domestic
scenes.
http://www.sitesantafe.org/exhibitions/virtualgalleries/frcrwan/crewdsonqa.html
That link goes to an interview with him. He is an inspiration because he is able to capture so much in just one photograph. When I see a photograph of his I am drawn to it instantly wondering what I have just walked in on. A strange moment is captured in his photos, I have heard someone describe them as feeling like science fiction movie stills. I want to be able to capture that moment that moves my audience and makes them wonder about what I have used or done to create that piece of work.
http://www.aperture.org/crewdson/

2. Watching someone create a beautiful piece of artwork is a trigger for me to create work. It could be someone I hate and I want to be better then them so I push myself to work harder. It could be someone I love and I am proud of them and I am then motivated to create with them. It could even be someone I don't know. I know that I am competitive when it comes to making art (I am at most things) and I want to be the best that I can be. So when I see someone making an amazing piece of work it helps me to work harder and push myself.
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=toolbar-instant&hl=en&ion=1&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4TSNF_enUS416US430#hl=en&sugexp=gsis%2Ci18n%3Dtrue&cp=12&gs_id=10&xhr=t&q=jealousy+symptoms&qe=amVhbG91c3kgc3lt&qesig=xwl4PyxF-GR7E7pFNdCuFw&pkc=AFgZ2tkuDTgZnM3B3Yz_M0zI5WDP8smBAwk66xxaa3yL9QLzeQKlmQStG0tAAtNdxog2S2UrMBjT4nMgsG3Hs76JkyLFXDVySw&pq=jealousy&pf=p&sclient=psy&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4TSNF_enUS416US430&site=webhp&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=jealousy+sym&aq=0&aqi=g3g-v2&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=56d88c03edc79caf&ion=1&biw=1287&bih=712

3. My father and his bug collection influence me to create art. My father has been collecting insects for about 45 years now. He has slides in the Smithsonian in Washington and around the world. He has written books and illustrated the bugs for them. He has named many bugs that he has discovered. Although he is not famous and doesn't even make money being an entomologist I have so much respect for him. That is true love of the art. That is what makes him most happy and I think that is why I respect it so much, because I know that feeling. If I didn't have art, I could not live. It's my only outlet, it's my only source of freedom, it's something no one can ever take from me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Beth,

    Thanks for the link to the interview. It was good to read. If your making comes from the right, honest place it will move your audience.First, it has to 'move' you. 'To move' has many possibilities ( it is quite open, quite generic). Think maybe more specifically for now, for example: HOW do you want us/ them/ you.. to experience your pieces. It is good to have expectations for us/them/ viewers/ somebody else???
    It is not written in a stone, your thoughts might change, but it good to called it "by name" at first, and to see how it is changing as you are changing.

    ReplyDelete