Monday, September 19, 2011

article response

With Camnitzer, there were things I sympathized with and others I disagreed. Sometimes I find myself concentrating too hard on technical process than on concept. I'm not sure why. It might depend on where you go to undergrad and initially learn, or because it just seems to take so long to learn all of the processes, and even within the different lists of processes there are more categories, so you are trying to remember every step. I just seem to work backwards now, instead of having something I want to express, I think of how I could work technically different. There are certain prints that are admirable because they are technically difficult to create or incredibly time consuming, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I find interesting as a printmaker, may not seem so to a painter or sculptor, just like I may not understand what they find difficult because I have not been in their footsteps. Camnitzer just seemed to rant too much. How can he make the assumption that learning traditional technique will become obselete when we've been learning about it for hundreds of years? Just make art!
This isn't necessarily an inspiration as much as a thought. I was observing a sunset and instead of just appreciating its beauty, I found myself dissecting it in terms of color. I miss making art to just simply make art. I understand that having an idea behind a piece provokes thought or allows someone to bring their uniqueness into the world of art, but occasionally I just want to experiment with color or improve on drawing. It just seems very consuming or crippling every once in awhile. I also saw an article on yahoo the other day that there is actually a museum created to house the worlds worst art!lol

No comments:

Post a Comment