Monday, September 5, 2011

Masaccio; traveling; ancient civilizations

This may be a strange influential artist to begin blogging about, but Masaccio created my favorite masterpiece, which I feel directly influences almost all of my personal work. I find Masaccio's Holy Trinity to be the most inspirational artwork I have ever viewed. Over the summer I traveled to Florence and viewed the work first hand; standing before it was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. Although depictions of Christ throughout history are extremely overabundant, I feel this one is exceptional for Masaccio's development of perspective.

Discussing Florence brings me to my next interest; traveling. I have studied abroad in the Bahamas and Scotland, and over the summer I backpacked England, France, Switzerland, and Italy with two friends. I love seeing new places and meeting new people; not only is it exciting to experience new things, but being in a foreign place also causes me to appreciate my home. For my next big trip I plan on traveling across the U.S.

Another interest of mine is studying ancient civilizations. Ancient history is mysterious and fundamental as well as critical to understanding the world today. I enjoy drawing comparisons between the present and the past as well as being in the presence of ancient objects. For example, it was overwhelming to walk through Pompeii, where everything surrounding me was so old and full of history; divots are still visible in the cobblestone from the wheels of horse drawn carts. It was thrilling to imagine what daily life would have been like for a culture such as this.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! thank you for the inspirations... to see the past, to feel the history,to learn different culture always leaves a mark on us. Experience the world, traveling forever changes us. Excited to read your proposal.

    ReplyDelete