Monday, September 5, 2011

A Little Late, My Blunder

So influence numero uno:... my biggest influence artist-wise has been a self-taught painter based out of San Francisco named Charmaine Olivia. She paints portraits, typically of women, that at a first glance have the typical Hollywood-esque glamour, but when you take a closer look, she includes a degree of surrealism with roots in dreams, nature, and the supernatural. Each portrait has subtle and, at other times, not so subtle little features that give each portrait an individuality that draws the viewer such as multiple eyes, antlers, or intricate tattooes that provide some clues into what the underlying concept is. It is just a style that has fascinated me lately.
Big ol' influence #2: I've been drawn to all things nautical lately. I think that the ocean is one the few parts of the world that still have some remaining mystery and excitement to them. There is just so many sources of inspiration in the ocean, whether it be in sailors' lore, the scale of it, or the oddities that exist in coral reefs and deep sea.
3rd one's the charm: I frequently find influence from music, but oddly enough, my taste in music changes about once a week. Usually, when somebody asks who my favorite musician is, the simplest answer I can give is whoever suits my mood for the moment. Lately, I have been gaining some inspiration from an Icelandic band, Sigur Ros. Their music just has an ethereal, epic (not in the hipster context, but the literal sense) that is just inspiring. They have a knack for playing music that can, despite not being in English, create a rush of thoughts and emotion that at times, can give you chills.
That is all. Have a nice night.

No comments:

Post a Comment