Monday, September 12, 2011

Early Influences

I'm pretty obsessed with monsters, and have been for a while.  I love drawing them.  I love researching them.  I like just about anything that has anything to do with weird creatures and monsters.

The artist that probably is the reason I got so into drawing the way I draw would have to be Alex Pardee.



His paintings are colorful, grotesque, and he has such good control of his inking and coloring.  When I stumbled upon his work back in my freshman year of high school I started to try and replicate his style in my own paintings and drawings.  For the most part I just kind of copied a lot of the themes from his work at first, but it did help me progress into the characters and monsters that I like to draw today.

Through Alex Pardee I also became a big fan of Greg "Craola" Simkins.


Like Alex Pardee, Craola's work really appealed to me because it still had that kind of grotesque quality to it that I was absolutely in love with.  While I ended up leaning more towards the looser quality of Alex Pardee's.  I still love Craola's work and have always tried to replicate his same attention to detail and ability to combine so many elements into a cohesive pieve, something I've been really trying to push myself about in my newer drawings.

These two are probably the first two artists that I got really obsesses with, and definitely drove me into the work I like to do today.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan of Simkins. Glad to see other people being influence by his work.

    ReplyDelete