Friday, September 2, 2011

Orozco, Buddhism and Manholes...Oh my!

For our first week of posts, I chose to comment on my most recent obsessions. If I had to pick one artist who currently influences my work the most, I would choose Gabriel Orozco. When I was researching his work for one of my summer courses, I came across a great video that the Tate put together in conjunction with his retrospective:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/gabrielorozco/

Although his work can be characterized as playful, Orozco's work is deceptively complex. He speaks of the importance of being aware of his surroundings, especially when walking through the urban landscape. Like Orozco, I am also inspired by the urban environment and these "untraditional studios".

I have also begun to reference Buddhist philosophy in my work. Although I am not a Buddhist, I can identify with and try to impliment aspects of Buddhism in my own life. I am specifically interested in Buddhist ideas of impermanence and meditation.

Finally, manhole covers are popping up everywhere in my work. I am especially excited to explore them in relationship to printmaking because, like prints, manhole covers are all based on the same function and visual design, but are all unique.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this week inspirations. Glad that you mentioned Gabriel Orozco. I hope that everyone will click on you link.
    This playfulness/complexity/ urban environment/meditation sounds like a good direction and I am eager to see what will you make this semester.
    Manhole- for what I can see now, humorously fits your approach towards art making an your ideas. (Somehow even the name ‘manhole’ could be playful....hmmm). It is a good starting point, a good direction…. Wonder where all of lead you.

    Thank you Emily,
    It was a pleasure to read your examples!

    ReplyDelete