Monday, September 19, 2011

Maybe I'm Missing the Point, But...

I may be very naive for this type of thinking, but sometimes I feel like artists (myself included) take ourselves and what we do too seriously. Everybody is so obsessed with labelling themselves, others and works a certain genre. It seems like everybody is forced to peg themself into a certain area of art, or a certain technique, and I wonder "why?" Why should anybody have to commit themselves to only one medium? Why can't you maintain your craft without stifling your creativity, and vice versa? It seems somewhat contradictory of what we are all doing. Art is all about exploring new ideas, experimenting, and doing what you sincerely want to do. It all seems somewhat childish to me to put one type of art above or below another in prestige. I am not advocating shallow work, but I think sometimes you just need to mentally relax, get back to the root of why you started making art in the first place, and just pursue a medium or subject matter that you sincerely enjoy doing.
That's just my 2 cents.

1 comment:

  1. i agree. i think it's easy to get caught up in though. a bit of perspective can do a lot of good.

    ReplyDelete