Monday, September 26, 2011

Changing a toilet paper roll; cake decorating; Bill Burns

A couple weeks ago I was having a bad day and became really annoyed about having to change a toilet paper roll. Changing the toilet paper roll got me thinking about all the little things there are to take care of throughout the day/week: water my plant; feed my fish; take out the trash; do laundry; do dishes; replace eggs, milk, soap, olive oil when they run out; etc. This repetitiveness of mundane chores coincided with the concept of my first mixed media work and inspired my second body of work, which involves digitally cataloguing items each day: milk, eggs, handsoap, toilet paper roll, onions, laundry basket, and trash. I am planning on creating a video with the images that compares/contrasts the rates that these items are used (or in the case of laundry and trash, how quickly they fill up).

I’m a cake decorator at a bakery I’ve worked at for four years, and I’ve been noticing a lot of similarities between the designs that I make with icing and patterns I use in my artwork. I’m not exactly sure if my job is influencing my art, or vice versa, but there is a definite influence either way. This is especially true with ceramics: Throwing is similar to centering a cake on a turntable, and many of the smoothing and mark making tools I have can interchangeably be used in cake decorating or throwing. Also, many of the designs I make while glazing and icing are very similar.

Bill Burns created a body of work entitled Safety Gear for Small Animals (http://www.mocca.ca/exhibition/bill-burns-safety-gear-for-small-animals/ and http://www.rebelart.net/diary/wp-database/uploads/2009/billburns.jpg) . I admire the humorous portrayal of a grave subject to illustrate a message and the attention to detail that this type of work requires.

No comments:

Post a Comment