Monday, September 26, 2011

derp.

So... let's get this shindig started. 1) Something that has been inspiring me lately has been jellyfish. They just have an aesthetic that I cannot get away from. They're fascinating in that they barely even seem like living creatures, but are still so beautiful. Also, the whole fact that they just kind of float around through life, literally, has some odd conceptual ideas that has been oddly intrigueing. Anyways, they'll most likely show up in my work soon. Just a heads up.
Numero Dos) I had an oddly pleasant moment of inspiration from the song "We've Been Had" by the Walkmen. It came on my ipod the other day and the timing of it was perfect with both the weather and my mood. The whole situation was just one of those moments where you feel like everybody and everything is going to be okay, and honestly, we could all use one of those moments from time to time. Also, it has a pretty cool video too, so check it out.
Finale) An artist that inspired me lately was Marco Mazzoni. I found him via Hi-Fructose Magazine's facebook page and I was impressed. He works primarily in colored pencils on paper with a cool color palette that combined with the subject matter gives it an uneasy but still beautiful composition. He uses a lot typically beautiful elements such as butterflies, hummingbirds, and floral elements along with portraits, but the portraits always lack any sort of eyes, which are replaced with just plain white space. I think that generally the whole no eyes thing can be kind of kitschy if the artist isn't careful, but at least I think this is a success. Like i said earlier, his work has this aesthetically beautiful appeal, but it gives you this uneasy feeling at the same time.
That's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment