Sunday, September 4, 2011

Even if You're Broke, Buy a Coke

I am mostly inspired and influenced by my Media Criticism classes during my undergrad at The University of Pittsburgh. We were challenged to question popular Television, movies, even advertisements to understand hidden messages and corrupt corporations. One subject dealt with the idea that companies attempt to market toward teenagers because they have the most expendable money and they are pressured by their peers to have the latest trends. If companies can create a brand identity with these young consumers, there is a possibility to keep them loyal to their products for life. Think about it, if you were obsessed with The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when you were a kid, wouldn't you be more inclined to buy a t-shirt later in your life as a nostalgic pleasure?

Another influence for me is the way companies create new and interesting ways to advertise and appeal to audiences. It seems that companies keep coming up with new and ridiculous ways to market their products. Have you recently seen advertisements pop up for shows or products while you were still watching a television program? It is said that we are exposed to thousands of ads every day. I am interested in which ones are most effective and which others are most extreme and invasive. Lately I have noticed television commercials before previews of movies, intertwined with the trailers. I want to know how these businesses are becoming monopoles through their use of advertisements.

My third influence would be Andy Warhol. Though, I am not using his "anything-can-be-art" approach. I appreciate that he has something to say about popular products and the way they can be available to anyone. He explained that there is something interesting about how something simple like a can of Coca Cola will be the same for someone who is poor and someone famous. It will taste the same no matter who buys it. He was controversial and knowledgeable. He originated as a commercial illustrator and left that to expose the industry. There is nothing like a Pittsburgh artist.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I enjoyed reading about your influences. I, too, appreciate Warhol's work. I love his work because it is visually so simply yet so conceptually complex. And still so relevant today. Another whole layer of complexity...so great!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete