Monday, September 26, 2011

Hoot Hoot!!! (9/25/2011)


Well.... It's almost 2 in the morning, and yep, I'm still awake. So much for catching up on sleep....

(I just traveled 144 miles from Erie to my cozy little futon- my boyfriend lives there, and I decided on a whim the other day that I was taking my day off to go see him. Bam. Did it. Best boyfriend ever... He looks like Joe Lovenduski, it's weird... ha, just kidding.)

ANYWAY... I got there, and he had a birthday gift sitting on the counter for me- an adorable owl pillow. For most people that know me, this shouldn't be a surprise... I'm obsessed with owls. It might not be healthy. Oh well... they're beautiful. Hoot! They're definitely an inspiration for me, in a lot of ways. They stay up all night, which is something I'm definitely becoming more familiar with, whether I like it or not... And their facial expressi
ons/personalities keep me laughing and happy when most other things make me want to hide in a hole and never come out. I love incorporating owls into my artwork, but it usually comes off as cliche, so I've been staying away from it... I might bring it back though- after all, it's my artwork, so if I want to add a Hootie McHooterson, I think I will.


Hoot hoot.

Aside from my love of owls that borders on creepy, I've also been paying a lot of attention to coffee lately. Drinking it, smelling the can at home until my mom threatens to commit me, or using it to stain paper... I've done it all. Coffee fascinates me, and if I lived closer to Indiana, I would consider working for a coffee place, rather than the financial aid office (barf) or Michaels (barf, but with coupons! Woot!). The atmosphere at the Commonplace is one that you don't find many other places- so calming and just... Cool. But less about the place, and more about the bean. I want to use coffee in my art more- see if I can stain the paper to my liking, or even make the paper smell delicious (until the coffee starts to rot and my paper smells like moldy death). I'll be playing with it a lot, and might even bring in my mini-pot to brew some in the studio. Bring your cups, friends. I've got espresso blend. (speaking of which, I drank espresso-infused goodness from Sheetz on my way home from Erie to stay awake tonight, and now I can't fall the hell to sleep... So much for that excellent idea.)

Art influence time!!!! I'm gonna go traditional here, and mention an artist that I've been rather fond of for a long time- Salvador Dali. My best friend recently got a melting clock tattooed to her wrist, reminding me of his work. The thing that inspires me for this week, though, isn't anything awesome that he did, but rather something that disappointed me- that is, the size of The Persistence of Memory. I saw it in a museum on a high school Art Club trip.. And all I could think was, "What?? What the fuck is that? Are you kidding me, dude?"

If you haven't seen it in person... This thing is TINY. Like... computer paper tiny. Don't let the posters fool you, they're 200% larger than the real thing.

How does this influence me? Well... it makes me want to work bigger. Artists like big works, they're easier to get involved in- I'd rather be sucked into a 6' painting than a 8.5x11" one, where the tiny one has more detail, but is harder to see.

Come on Salvador, seriously? Stop waxing your mustache and make bigger art. ... Though that's one RAD-ass mustachio.

I'm going to bed now... Well.. Maybe not, still too much espresso. Whee!!! I'll go play with the cat instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment