Sunday, September 4, 2011

Julie Mehretu, oil and Girl Talk.

Julie Mehretu is one of my inspirations. She is incredible. I have loved Julie Mehretu since I first saw her work in the 2004-05 Carnegie International. I walked into a room and there hung 3 huge colorful canvases. I was amazed and instantly tried to replicate her work. Years later, I am still inspired by her energy, lines and bursts of color she uses so brilliantly in her work.
A trigger to create would have to be the smell oil paint and/or oil sticks. I'm pretty sure this comes from when I took a summer pre-college program at RISD in 2004. While I was in this pre-college program I used oil sticks and only drew on paper. The entire experience was amazing and really cemented my love for art and my intentions to make a career of it. Every time I have been away from the studio for a while, when I come back I am greeted by the smell of oils and that urge to create is instantly sparked inside of me.
Another inspiration/trigger right now is Girl Talk. Girl Talk is a DJ who mixes clips of music together to form hour long sets. This guy is incredible! His talent and ability to create such elaborate, cared for music pushes me. Slipping on my head phones and scrolling down to Girl Talk on my i-pod always makes for an amazing time in the studio. I turn the music up loud and I can't help but dance around while I'm working. It helps me to loosen up and really put my body into what I'm creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment