Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sketches by the masters; frog dissection; textures

I recently viewed an exhibition of drawings from artists such as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Botticelli at the Uffizi. Seeing authentic sketches from these masters was an amazing experience and was definitely influential to my work. Before seeing these sketches in person, I would not have considered them extremely influential. However, seeing the actual sketches that influenced works by such renowned artists filled me with the desire to just sketch – I went out later that day; bought a brand new sketchbook; and began drawing. I often think of this experience as I am beginning works, and feel that it will always influence my work.
http://www.tickitaly.com/blog/2010/12/uffizi-gallery-exhibition-2011-italian-renaissance-drawings/

Last semester I experimented a bit with frog dissection as the subject of my works (I included an example of this in my presentation of works). I enjoy subtle humor in art, and I have found that using frog dissection imagery as my subject is an effective way to achieve this. The matter of dissecting something is somewhat grave, yet when placed in a lighter context can make a concept humorous. For example, I cast frogs with wax; opened the chest cavity of one; and filled it with tiny organs made from Starburst candy. I found the results lighthearted.

Textures in nature is one more thing I enjoy: tree bark; fungus; water ripples; etc. I would like to include textures based on natural objects in my work, but I have not yet found an original way to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment