Monday, September 5, 2011

figuring it out

This is my first blog so be a little forgiving, it might be kind of short. I would have to say two of my biggest influences are Sylvia Ji and Alphonse Mucha. Both usually deal with the female form, but also with design detail and complexity. Ji's work has more of a seductive undertone in the pieces, which I would like to integrate into my work. I also love her use of colors which are very vivid. I am also highly interested in the art nouveau and art deco periods, which might be why I'm so interested in Mucha. Another artist whose work I am fond of is Jay Ryan. He normally does silkscreen imagery, often humorous. His line work and color use amaze me, mostly because I can't imagine how many runs he has to do for one print with all the colors he selects.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Elissa for the your art inspirations, all the examples are definitely something to look up to, and good technical anchor point for the semester. What about other influences ( except art)?. You have a strong technical printmaking background, what will be useful this semester, but I believe that there is much more than art movements, and artists that inspire your imagination. Look around. Write things down. Read things over and over again. We need a little bit more please.

    ReplyDelete