Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 2 Post!

Hey everyone,

I think that the inspirations I listed last week are among the most relevant to my recent work, however there are so many things and artists that inspire me.

The artist I will talk about this week is Tom Friedman. He alters everyday things simple ways that completely change the way we see them. The pieces that inspire me the most are the ones that you can empathize with him in the process of making them. For example, this piece:

How can you not think this is cool!? And, it's repetition. So in my mind, it still relates to printmaking.

Although the next person I'll talk about is an artist, I am more inspired by his work as an educator and person. Some of you may have heard me mention "my professor from undergrad". Yes, I'm always referring to the same person, and yes, he has a name. Patrick Schmidt is a painting professor at Washington & Jefferson College. He, along with a few others, is pretty much the reason I had the confidence to pursue art as a career (and lifestyle). In my freshman year, I felt comfortable asking him "Is it art?" questions and it still continues today. Plus, he is willing to take my "Graduate School sucks today" phone calls!

My final inspiration for this week is simply repetition. I notice repetition everywhere, which is why I think I love printmaking. I enjoy daily rituals, consistency and order. Repetition also relates to time which is another one of my interests. We are conditioned to think in terms of days, hours, minutes etc... which all have to do with repetition. It all feels like a sort of life mantra or prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Emily! It all comes together.... now if you appreciate repetition so much, how is this "10 000" dots piece coming along? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going great! Could be a jumping-off point for a whole series. We'll see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete