Friday, September 9, 2011

Elk-dom, bicycles, and Barbara Kruger

1. Elk-dom.

I work at the Elk's Lodge #931, Indiana, Pa. I have worked there for over 5 years now. Generally I fill the role of bartender. As a young person I had all the respect in the world for adults, until I started watching them get drunk. If you are not familiar, the Elks is a members only organization similar to the Eagles, VFW, Legion, Moose, Lions, etc. In a college town like Indiana, these clubs are intoxicating refuges for those mainly over the age of 40. Basically, I see the same people day in and day out. I have their adult beverages of choice committed to memory before their names. Working at the same place for 5 years has allowed me to analyze way too much about the dynamics of such an establishment. Frankly, I know far too much information about the personal lives of respected (and sometimes not) adult members of the community. Such is the life of a bartender. Truthfully I prefer the antics of the older crowd to the calamity of a Philly St. bar. You can keep your drunken college students. The Elks provides me with endless inspiration. It grants me access to numerous materials, not to mention the rantings and ravings of an older crowd are of consistent interest to a young person like myself. Projects regarding bars as comfortable, home-like environments, and the juxtaposition of art dispensing and gambling are notable current inspirations born of the lodge.

2. Bicycles

I love bicycles. They are far more efficient than walking, and often traveling by car. Mountain biking is one of my favorite outdoor activities. Nothing like trees whipping past, mud splashing everywhere, and the possibility of bodily injury around each corner! It really is a good way to clear the mind (something I call 'singletrack therapy'). Aside from riding bikes, I am obsessed with learning their mechanics and tinkering with them. During the summer I finished building a custom beach cruiser I made from a rusted pawn shop bike, and made several modifications to another bike in my collection. Probably linked to my Father's affinity for fixing things, I take pride in maintaining my bikes myself and adding little flairs to suit my aesthetic taste. Throughout my internet based travels I have found several interesting bike styles and compositions, which constantly reinvent the beauty of such a simple machine. Universally delightful, bicycling is a direct portal to childhood with the wind blowing through your hair and all that fun stuff. Links below reflect the diversity and creative takes on the simple bike.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/09/24/15-amazing-bicycles-for-the-future-of-seoul/

http://www.treehugger.com/bau-bike.jpg

http://www.fastcompany.com/1771226/for-bamboo-bicycles-sustainability-is-growing

3. Barbara Kruger

While not quite as exhilarating as a fine bike ride, the work of Barbara Kruger almost gets me there. An influence for several years, Kruger's blunt messages provide insight into popular culture. Her layer photographs, juxtaposed with text allude to printmaking and mixed media. I have always been attracted to using text in artwork. Text and images are how we receive information every day. Text often questions intent and the viewer, and can open up a whole new can of worms for a piece. Although the line is fine between cliche and unnecessary text use and profound success, Barbara Kruger has blasted billboards and other commonly viewed media with her powerful messages and images, which clearly reflect her background in advertising and magazine design. Because popular media often influences the decisions of everyone within our society, I find Kruger's work to be consistently relevant. Until we no longer see billboards, magazine, internet, and tv ads, consumer culture will expose its neck for the axes of artists.

http://www.barbarakruger.com/art.shtml

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kruger! yes! Barbara "The Icon"-After her black and white with red and bold white text never means the same.The first one that started incorporating/deconstructing advertising for a personal statement and with truly unique voice.
    Thx!

    ReplyDelete