Sunday, September 25, 2011

More influences...hm!

Although it may seem a bit redundant to post three new influences every week, I think it's a good thing. I realize that it's forcing me to rethink where my art and I am.

1. Artist: Allan Kaprow

Kaprow's Happenings from the 60's align with my personal philosophy of art, however I am most excited by his writings. Kaprow was a big writer (as am I) and it's good because without his justification, his work is conceptually hard to grasp if you don't know what you're looking for. Specifically, I love the essay "Art Which Cannot Be Art" from 1985. Kaprow believed in a fusion of art and life, and in this essay he speaks about art that is in the perception of the everyday, not necessarily fabricated moments or objects. I am interested in the everyday, and I am always trying to keep it as close to life as possible.

2. ephemeral |əˈfem(ə)rəl|
adjective
lasting for a very short time : fashions are ephemeral. See note at temporary .

Keeping with the word, I will keep this short:

Everything is temporary, so why make art that is supposed to last forever?

3. Geometric shapes

Martyna may be surprised that I haven't talked about circles yet, but I am also drawn to geometric shapes. Other than the fact that geometry is often evident in Buddhist art, I think I am drawn to geometric shapes for their "matter-of-fact-ness". There is an immediate understanding in these shapes. Definite beginnings and ends. In all the days' chaos, I think my brain is conditioning itself to look for things that make sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment