Friday, September 23, 2011

My apartment.

My first influence for this week is my apartment. While I don't have any images of it (yet) because I moved in mid-August, I can certainly describe why it's so hard for me to leave home:

1. It's extremely cheap for it's location. I live in Southside, Pittsburgh. I pay less than 500 a month.

2. I have a studio in addition to a moderately sized one bedroom apartment. This means that the computer I'm using to work on this blog is in its own separate space. I approach my studio space as I would approach a job-I come here to work, either on art, school, or other writing. My living room is a "no school work" zone, where I relax and spend time with the boyfriend, or my guinea pigs. No, these are not my pigs, but if you ever want to see pictures of my three guys... ask and you shall receive...

3. I live on the third floor. Any of you that have ever lived in a crowded area of the city may realize that most homes get little to no natural sunlight (add to that the dreariness of Pittsburgh). My studio is the uppermost (4th) floor, where I can see the slopes, and a giant church. I'm usually awake before the sun rises, so each morning I get to see the sunrise behind this church.

4. I live alone. I get to work alone. I enjoy it a little bit too much. I can always tell when I've been alone too long-my social awkwardness (while already apparent) increases and gets out of control. Symptoms include stumbling over words even more, not talking at all, becoming more monotone, forgetting what conversations are appropriate with strangers (ex: lack of filter), increased clumsiness, etc.

Second influence is Antoni Gaudi, particularly the Sagrada Familia. I got to see this firsthand when I traveled to Barcelona last summer, and the architecture completely blew everything I ever saw in the art world out of the water-including Rome (I mean, Rome was beautiful, but I felt like I was walking through a giant graveyard..). I have thought about going back to Barcelona almost every day since, and wish that IUP had a study abroad program there. I hope to take another trip out once I get my bachelor's as a celebration.

Which brings me to my next point. Go to Europe. Go see things that are not Indiana, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; or PA in general. Travel. See other artists and other things. See other cultures. Learn different languages. Please. You will never be the same. Traveling is my third influence, and I have not done enough. Fortunately, I am surrounded by people who are just as excited about it as I am, and when we can afford it, we try.

Want to feel terrible about personal painting and drawing skills? Look here. This will either drive you to do more, or cause you to want to break your hands and give up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lena,

    It so good to read all of your thoughts, always. Inspired by your ordinary spaces/your apartment? Being alone is as much important as making art. If you don't learn how to be alone, you will only know how it is to be lonely. So enjoy it, it is probably the best time to reflect.

    Travel- sweet joy in life! A new language even better. It gives you another perspective on life/death/food/jokes/topography/culture/etc./etc/. I agree with the statement that " Speaking another language, is like have another soul".

    ps.: ;leave your apartment, talk to us... "push" yourself to feel uncomfortable, it will teach you a skill, and you might make art about it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete